J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and small business owner with 10 years experience in the general practice of law.

I rent a mobile home,when I moved in centrl air and heat was

Customer Question

I rent a mobile home,when I moved in centrl air and heat was both working. Air handler tore up 12/01/2008, had to use emergency heat all winter. Got a $522.00 fuel ass. whic was all used up in 2 1/2 months. only kept heat on 65 so bill would not be so high. Now it is hot weather here and land lord will not fix the air, had to borrow 2 window units from a neigher. Have serious health problems both breathing and heart. Lease is not up until09/01/09 can not afford to move and loose my deposit money. I will be 72 in aug, can you help? what are my legal grounds?
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 7 years ago.
You likely qualify for free legal assistance from Virginia Legal Aid. Here is their website:

The condition in your rental may violate what is called the "warrantee of habitability". Every rental must be fit for human habitation. When heat and air condition (under some circumstances) malfunctions and makes the dwelling intolerable and the landlord fails or refuses to fix the problem, the warrantee is breach. This gives you leverage to demand that the problems be fixed by your landlord at no charge to you, or would allow you to terminate your lease immediately if they are not fixed.

I would first contact Virginia Legal Aid Society and discuss this matter with them. They can help you resolve the issue, if it is resolveable.

Please let me know if you have follow-up questions. I'll be available to help further.

The information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!

I appreciate your "Accepting" my answer if it has been helpful to you. Doing so allows me to continue helping in this manner. I will be available for follow-up questions should you have them after you click "Accept". Thank you.