Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.

The court has awarded me over 3000 dollars from my tenants

Customer Question

The court has awarded me over 3000 dollars from my tenants who didn't pay rent. What can I do to collect this money?
Expert:  Loren replied 7 years ago.
Which state are your judgments in?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 years ago.

You are in the post-judgement collection phase which can be very frustrating. You have spent time and money and think you have reached the end of the fight only to discover there are more rounds left.

The trick now is to find your ex-tenant's assets or employer. Once that is accomplished you can move to levy and attach the assets and garnish wages (if they are employed). You can attach their bank accounts.

You can start with poking around on the internet to see if any names pop up. Because you were their landlord I assume that you have personal info like social security numbers. I have had a lot of success ordering asset searches from private investigators. Not usually expensive.

Finally, their are many attorneys in your area who do nothing but collection work, including post judgement. I urge you to contact your local bar association for a referral. You can probably get an initial consultation for nothing and it will save you time and headaches down the road.

Good luck and I hope this is helpful to you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I know one is receiving welfare and the other has income. Can I attach social security and welfare?
Expert:  Loren replied 7 years ago.
The only thing social security can be garnished for is federal and state taxes (and maybe child support).