skelly151
skelly151, Lawyer
Experience:  Litigation specialist, Probate and Estate law, Collection law, contract disputes, builder issues
8748477

I entered a lease prior to the water service being restored.

I entered a lease prior to the water service being restored. The water company came today to turn on the water and found that there is a pipe that appears to be ruptured in the wall. It has been about 15 days. I want to know can I get out of the lease and can I expect my deposit back.
Yes you are entitled to a quiet tenancy and a rupture in the wall goes against that. The damage will require some major repair so give them notice that due to their inability to give you premises in good condition you are going to terminate the tenancy. Take photos when you move out so that you have a chance of getting your security deposit back.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The damage isnt immediately noticeable as the pipe is between the two walls. I am guessing that a letter from the water company might be enough should we have to enter into litigation...since this is a private landlord. Do you think the letter from the water company will be enough. I just want to make sure I am covered.

THANKS FOR YOUR QUICK RESPONSE!!!

Yes get a letter from them to prove up your claim and remember to take photos when you leave just so you get your security deposit back and they dont withold damages from it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Got it THANKS!!!!