Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I am the defendant in a small claims case. I have investigated

I am the defendant in a small claims case. I have investigated the plaintiff and he has filed 185 small claims cases in Los Angeles County. Are there any limits on how many cases a person can file? Are there any consumer help groups to prevent him from continuing to sue on frivolous grounds?

There is no limit on how many cases a person can find. However, you can use this to your advantage by informing the court of his history of filing fraudulent and unfounded suits. It could irritate the judge and help your cause.

You can raise malicious prosecution and abuse of process as a defense in your response to the complaint filed against you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Are there any organizations out there that can stop him from continuing to do this?
As I research the individual cases it seems he wins by default when the other party doesn't show up. Is there a way to red flag him in the system? Is 185 cases even considered excessive?

Because this is not an attorney, you can't file a bar complaint. The best thing to do is bring this to the court's attention.

The court can't prevent the person from filing, but it can fine/jail the person for filing frivilolus lawsuits.