TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

employees at my job started a rumor that I was arrested by

employees at my job started a rumor that I was arrested by the feds for drug trafficing and It sprayed through out the city. Affecting my job and all part time work.
Expert:  TexLaw replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for submitting your important legal issue to Just Answer. I am pleased to have the opportunity to provide you with an honest and easy to understand answer to your question.

I am an attorney licensed in the State of Texas. The following information is a brief answer to your question. However, if you feel that you need further information or that you have other insights which might help me in providing a better answer, please feel free to write back.

When a person makes a statement which is not true and which damages your reputation causing you economic harm, you can sue that person for defamation (libel/slander). Libel when someone defames you in writing. Slander is when someone defames you verbally. In your case, if you can identify the persons speaking and the exact statements they made, and those statements were not true, you can definitely sue that person for defamation. However, this may not be the path you want to pursue.

Office politics can be a brutal game. This situation may best be handled by taking action within the company. If the chain of command in the company does not do anything about false rumors going around about you, which are affecting your job, then this may (and I emphasize may) lead to the company being vicariously liable for the defamatory statements of its employees.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Zachary D. Norris or The Norris Law Firm. For complete legal advice and representation, you should consult with an attorney licensed to practice in your state.
<br />
<br />
<br />