Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Experience:  General practice experience in many areas of law
11297241

does arkansas have a no taping/recording law and if so, how

does arkansas have a no taping/recording law and if so, how does it read?
Expert:  Lady Themis replied 5 years ago.

Yes, in Arkansas, recording a conversation requires the consent of at least one party to the conversation. The statute reads:

5-60-120. Interception and recording.

(a) It is unlawful for a person to intercept a wire, landline, oral, telephonic communication, or wireless communication, and to record or possess a recording of the communication unless the person is a party to the communication or one (1) of the parties to the communication has given prior consent to the interception and recording.

(b) Any violation of this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

(c) (1) It is not unlawful for the act to be committed by a person acting under the color of law.

(2) It is an exception to the application of subsection (a) of this section that an officer, employee, or agent of a public telephone utility or company that is licensed by a federal or state agency to provide wire or wireless telecommunication service to the public provides information, facilities, or technical assistance to a person acting under the color of law to intercept a wire, wireless, oral, or telephonic communication.

(3) It is not unlawful under this section for an operator of a switchboard, or an officer, employee, or agent of any public telephone utility or telecommunications provider whose facilities are used in the transmission of a wire communication to intercept, disclose, or use that communication in the normal course of his or her employment while engaged in any activity which is a necessary incident to the rendition of his or her service or to the protection of the rights or property of the telecommunications provider or public telephone utility of the communication.

(d) The provisions of this section do not apply to a:

(1) Telecommunication service offered by a telecommunications provider or public telephone utility; or

(2) Federal Communications Commission licensed amateur radio operator.

(e) Nothing in this section shall be interpreted to prohibit or restrict a Federal Communications Commission licensed amateur radio operator or anyone operating a police scanner from intercepting a communication for pleasure.

(f) Consistent with the provisions of 18 U.S.C. § 2703, as it existed on January 1, 2003, the issuance of a court order for disclosure of a customer communication or record to a governmental entity requiring the information as part of an ongoing criminal investigation is not prohibited by the laws of this state.

(g) Consistent with the provisions of 18 U.S.C. §§ 3122 - 3127, as they existed on January 1, 2003, the issuance of a court order authorizing or approving the installation and use of a pen register or a trap-and-trace device as part of an ongoing criminal investigation is not prohibited by the laws of this state.

Lady Themis, Lawyer
Experience: General practice experience in many areas of law
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

if a class in a school is out of control, the teacher knows and agrees with the recording and the student is cursing, threatenting and trying to get the teacher to go out

side and fight him. the students know that they are being recorded and doesn't object. the out of control student has hit another student. the school has an intercom system that can be listened to and if u can listen, u can record. students record classes all the time. is this breaking the law?