TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

My principal came to me and said I looked tired and she wanted

My principal came to me and said I looked tired and she wanted a drug test-I compied and test waS NEGATIVE BUT THEN THE CLINIC IS SENDING THE URINE TO FIND OUT WHAT MEDICINES ARE IN MY SYSTEM. i GAVE NO CONSENT ISN'T THIS IN VIOLATION OF THE HIPPA LAWS
Expert:  TexLaw replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for submitting your important legal issue to Just Answer. I am pleased to have the opportunity to provide you with an honest and easy to understand answer to your question.

I am an attorney licensed in the State of Texas. The following information is a brief answer to your question. However, if you feel that you need further information or that you have other insights which might help me in providing a better answer, please feel free to write back.

You state that you gave no consent, but actually, you did consent to the principle when he took your sample. By handing over your sample, you are giving consent for the school to perform whatever tests it wants to on the sample. Further, medicine can be considered a "drug" that will be tested for in a "drug" test on your urine sample. I do not believe that this would be a violation of the HIPPA laws unless your principle or the clinic discloses the information it obtains from that test.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Zachary D. Norris or The Norris Law Firm. For complete legal advice and representation, you should consult with an attorney licensed to practice in your state.