TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

A credit card company put a lean on my house for a debt that

A credit card company put a lean on my house for a debt that is from 2001?
the lean was just poste on 2008.also that was from Nevada. Is this legal?
how can I get this off of.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

The credit card company can put a lien on your property if it has a judgment againt you. The judgment itself acts as a lien on your real estate in the county where the lien is recorded.

You should note, however, that Nevada has a fairly large homestead exemption of (from what I see on the internet) $125k. This means the creditor cannot get at the first $125k of equity in your home. But if you have more equity than that then it could theoretically foreclose and force a sale of the property.

The only way to get rid of the lien is to pay what you owe or sell the property (in which the creditor will take the equity). Or, if the creditor never forecloses the judgment will eventually expire (but that could take decades). I wish I had better news.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If the information that I provided was helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be adequately addressed in this setting, and that I am only licensed to practice law in the state of Maryland. Accordingly, you acknowledge (1) that we have not formed an attorney-client relationship, and (2) that my post is general information only and not specific legal advice.

TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JD, MBA