Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

does an insurance investigator have the right to ask for your

does an insurance investigator have the right to ask for your social security number if investigating your vandilized vehicle
The insurance investigator does have a right, even with the various SS privacy laws, to ask your SSN to use in their investigations.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
well , what i mean is do i have to provide it ... i feel like it has nothing to do with a situation and it was not required upon being insured
You have to provide your information to the investigator as part of their investigation and if you do not they can hold up the case. The number is XXXXX as an identifyer when cases are being investigated for criminal reports, such as vandalism, to positively identify the parties interviewed/
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

im not the car was vandilized and it was insured...what i mean is do i have to give my ss as the insured person of a vandelized car...thanks

I didn't say you were, but it is also the way insurance companies track claims and money issued. If not, when you deposit the check the IRS wants to know where money came from and since insurance money is not taxable, this is how it is tracked. If you insist you can get away with not giving it and insist upon your rights to privacy, but it will delay the process and the insuer is bound to keep it confidential anyway.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
will the fact that my credit has recently been horrible due to a devorce have an effect on me for this claim ..this is my worry
That should not be used against you in any claim, in fact it should not even be an issue and if they make it one then it would give you a claim for breach of contract against the insurer since one has nothing to do with the other.