How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Zachary Your Own Question

Zachary, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4021
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zachary is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Sub contrator that I paid to his companys name that

Resolved Question:

I have a Sub contrator that I paid to his companys name that is no longer doing work for my company. He is requesting pay for 13000.00 dollars for contractor work done that I agree are legit charges. He owes me for 9600.00 worth of contractor advances he has not paid back and has threatened the labor board with me. Is this somwthing a Sub contractor can do. Not reconize loans that he has cashed the check?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zachary replied 5 years ago.
Generally, a subcontractor does not have a right to complain in front of the state labor board, as a subcontractor is not an "employee". You need to make sure that there is not an employment relationship between the two of you rather than a subcontract.

The fact that you have indicated that he took title to one of your trucks is somewhat puzzling. For a person to be able to take a title to a truck, he would have had to perform work on the truck and therefore has a materialman's lien or he would have had to have secured a judgment against you for the amount owed and seized your truck through an execution of the judgment. As there is substantial property at risk in this situation, I would go ahead and meet with an attorney to review your situation.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

He needed a truck to work for his had a blown a motor. He was supose to have my name put in as a lien holder. Never put in his name till he stopped doing work for this company, Isn't this black mail and and The fact that I write the check to his company name should make him a contractor just like I pay a repair shop. His own insurance, ete. How can a contractor take you to the labor board?


Expert:  Zachary replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the clarification. So, If I understand this correctly, you provided the subcontractor money to purchase a work truck. When he purchased the work truck, he placed title of the truck in his name. If this is correct, then you will have to sue the subcontractor for conversion, fraud, negligence, and/or unjust enrichment to either get the truck back or get the money back which you gave him.

In regard to your question about the labor board, this will depend on the state in which you are located. There may be some state law which would allow for the subcontractor to make some sort of complaint about you in front of a labor board. However, I have never heard of such a law and would find it highly unlikely that there is one. Generally, a subcontractor cannot complain about a general contractor to the state labor department, as there is no employer-employee relationship.

While you should contact a local attorney for more detailed advice, I believe that this person is likely just trying to scare you into paying him. If you are worried that he has information that may damage your business, and that he is threatening to release this information unless you pay him, then you do have a blackmail situation. If that is the case, then you should immediately contact an attorney for further counseling. However, if you haven't done anything that you are worried about him disclosing, then he, as a subcontractor, will not be able to file anything of consequence with a labor board.
Zachary, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4021
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Zachary and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Last | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions