Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My neighbors wont stop harassing threatening and reporting

My neighbors won't stop harassing threatening and reporting us to various state and city officials. All complaints have been unfounded or dismissed. The first incident was a ticket and summons for our yard. There was a code enforcement officer in my back yard not in police uniform and fully armed. I got to court and charges were dropped by the city. The judge was told there were extenuating circumstances and the head of zoning told me there was nobody with that description in my yard. The ticket was signed by a different uniformed officer. The next incident, I was home alone with my dogs. The neighbor came into my house illegally returned the dogs and called child protective services because I was asleep. There were no children home and charges were unfounded. I got a ticket for unlicensed dogs in the city while the neighbor overheard me talking about getting licenses for my dogs. They have both threatened me and cursed me out, after a complaint to police. the husband is a detective
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
If the neighbor made what they believed at the time to be a valid complaint, the fact that enforcement action was taken is not the neighbor's fault. You would have to prove that the complaints were made and were known to be false at the time they were made in order to seek to recover for slander/defamation against the neighbor. Unfortunately, a citizen has a right to report what they believe to be a violation of the law. Since they made the child protection complaint and no children were home, if you can prove they knew no children were present then you would have a claim you could bring against the neighbor for that complaint. Other than that, if your dogs were unlicensed and the neighbor made the complaint, then that is not actionable.

You could also sue her for unauthorized entry/tresspassing into your home or onto your property.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”