P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience

I need a sample letter of an attorney billing a new client---can

I need a sample letter of an attorney billing a new client---can anyone help?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 years ago.

Is this a retainer agreement or a billing notice?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is an initial retainer agreement which will include the details of future billing notices.
Are you an attorney?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, I am not an attorney. I am enrolled in the Duke Paralegal program at this time. This assignment is to do an initial client letter and would like a general example.
Got it
One more question...does it need to relate to a specific field (like criminal/family/estate) or just a general retainer agreement?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It can be a general retainer agreement, but the case we are referring to is MBE v. MEDCHI. A dispute over a contract over the sale of medical books/journals. Thanks
A general retainer will do two things

1. Describe the services to be provided

2. Describe the payment for such services.

It is a contract, plain and simple.

IN its simplest form it would be similar to below

Attorney shall represent Client in the above case, which includes:

(List here what he lawyer will do in the case)

Attorney shall keep Client continuously informed of the progress of the case, and respond to all of Client’s inquiries.

Unless otherwise specified, Attorney’s services do not include

(List what is not included-for example appeals or actual trial)

Client shall be truthful and cooperate with Attorney, follow Attorney’s legal instructions, promptly return Attorney’s phone calls or letters, and inform Attorney of all information and developments in the case; Client’s address, phone and whereabouts, abide by this Agreement, and pay Attorney’s bills.

For the legal services above, Client agrees to pay the following Retainer Fee, which includes foreseeable costs to the Attorney.

Costs do not include hiring investigators or experts unless discussed with the client.

Fee: (fill this in either flat rate or hourly fees)

(If applicable)

5. ADVISEMENT                 & nbsp;                           
No attorney can make any promises regarding the final outcome, verdict or sentence in the case. Attorney may consult and/or use other attorneys for Client’s benefit, for Court appearances, or to advise or assist with Client’s case (at no additional cost to Client); and Client agrees to such representation.

The Client’s file is at all times the property of Client; at any time, upon Client’s request, Attorney will deliver the original or copy of the file to Client.

It is important that Client is continually happy with Attorney’s services. Thus, Client may discharge Attorney at any time, for any reason.

Client acknowledges that Attorney may also terminate this contract for good cause or if Client breaches any of Client’s duties and/or misses any payment.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience: 16 yrs. of trial experience