Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

my son was accused of plagiarism at college. the teacher did

my son was accused of plagiarism at college. the teacher did not follow the university's policy on how to treat/handle this issue with a student. my son was threatened and intimidated with only 2 options: accept a fail in the course or take it to a hearing and if they find him 'guilty' he will be kicked out of school and not allowed in any state college. the policy states the student has 5 days to respond. the teacher gave him only 2. Per the school's policy, my son's rights were not honored. what steps can we take? do i need a lawyer? what kind of lawyer do we consult? thank you.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 7 years ago.
If they violated their policies then you can challenge any actions that were taken. Any lawyer who does "school law" "administrative law" or civil trial law can help.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR TEXAS ATTY” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you. do i need an attorney? is this something we can deal with directy or do you recommend we get counsel? also, based on the school's policy, if it is policy, does the faculty have to follow it word for word? i.e. if the policy states that the student has 5 days to respond, but the teacher said you have 2 days to respond, is the teacher violating policy?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 7 years ago.
I recommend you get an attorney. They won't take you seriously until you do.

I think they are bound by their policy for a number of reasons, including it forming a contract.