Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Hello, we are thinking of purchasing an rv that has a title

Hello, we are thinking of purchasing an rv that has a title as parts only it is now in an auto dealerships name they say that the title stays in that name and we purchase the rv only with a bill of sale for parts only because that laws is that it can't be retitled due to the parts only factor is that true? I am in Massachusetts. Also if we restore the rv can it then be titled as road worthy
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Under MA law a parts only title can NEVER be retitled, thus if you purchase the vehicle it must only be used for parts and you can never obtain a title on it.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is the law the same in Connecticut
Yes, any title that is parts only will not be retitled as anything else.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
without a title can the person who is selling the rv state he still owns it or will the bill of sale be enough and can we place the rv without a title on a seasonal lot at a campground
You can state you still own it, but it cannot be registered or driven on the roads without being registered. You can use it as a stationary camper.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you for all of your help!
You are welcome and thank you.