Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I worked for a franchise from H&R Block, several all of us

I worked for a franchise from H&R Block, several all of us old tax prpares quit due to she refused to pay us our retention bonuses. H&R Block after the fact decided they do not back their franchise offices. Now the lady that operates this franchise office has told a number of people that She had fired me because I had stole 103,000.00 from her franchise. She has also told people that every tax return I did last season, she had to go back in and amend. I am very upset that she had took upon herself to lie and accuse me of that, it is a huge disgrace, what can I do and how do I go about it and do I go after her or H&R Block. The way I feel, she is representing H&R Block. I have e-mailed them on the complaints and have never heard anything back from them. Thank You....Lorraine Royer
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for contacting our JA team for guidance, Lorraine.

Please let me know what state you were working in. Were you owed a retention bonus by contract?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Parsons, Kansas. 67357. On the retention bonus we have went through Dept. of Labor and are awaiting a hearing on that matter. The slander and deframation is what I am wondering about.
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.

I see. It sounds as though you would have a solid case of defamation against the owner of the franchise as long as you can prove that the statements were false. Your best option is to seek an employment law attorney in your area since this occurred in an employment law context to determine your best course of action; ie, whether you should file suit to recover damages or merely send a cease and desist letter so the defamation will stop.

The KS state bar association's website is a good place to begin your search and should include low cost and pro bono legal services in your area.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Best regards,

TK

Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited for my time when I have answered your question. I am available to answer follow-up questions or to clarify this answer. Thank You.

Tina, Lawyer
Experience: JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.