Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
8370490

I live in NC and my nephew lives in SC. I have reason to believe

Customer Question

I live in NC and my nephew lives in SC. I have reason to believe he and his brother who is not my nephew are being neglected because he has told me they are being left alone for hours at time and they are only 10 & 11. He also says she says mean things to him and hits them. What can I do?
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer

You should probably call South Carolina Child Protective Services. You would have to call the County Department of Social Services where the child resides. If you scroll down in the above link, you call find the contact number for the appropriate county.

Thomas
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If they find neglect in the home do I have rights as an aunt to have him come live with me?
That might be a possibility. I am not familiar with the specific neglect proceedings in South Carolina. But you would most likely have to make some type of petition in the South Carolina courts to seek custody of the child. Since you do live in another state, however, the court might be reluctant to remove the child from South Carolina. If the situation is really serious I would consider hiring a South Carolina attorney to help you seek custody of the child.

Thomas