John, Attorney
Experience:  Trial Attorney, licensed in FL, GA, & AL. Rated 10 / 10 by avvo.
12868701

My boyfriend and I were involved in a 5 car accident on 95.

Customer Question

My boyfriend and I were involved in a 5 car accident on 95. The car in front of us suddenly stopped to avoid hitting another car. We were far enough away to hit the brakes however it was raining so we slid. We probably would have only bumped the car in front, had the guy behind us not been looking and smashed into us and the car behind him as well. The car is now totaled and I suffered minor injuries. Sprained muscles and whiplash. About 2 weeks ago someone hit my car at my house and my insurance told me I didn't have collision coverage at which point I was furious and ask they change it to include it. Now this accident happened and they are telling me nothing was updated. The car is totaled and they are not willing to help with anything. I have stuff in the car (we were helping my brother inlaw move) and items I bought while out there that the towing company says I have to pay to remove. We live in PA and the accident was in NY. I am paying storage fees and have no idea what to do!
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Do you have any records or proof you obtain coverage, such as charge receipts, cancelled checks, etc?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, the accident that just happened when I swithced over just happened about 2 weeks prior to the accident on 95. I was hoping to get information in the mail because I knwe it was going to cost more. When the conversation happened I just told the lady I sopke to on the phone that I wanted full coverage because it's my only vehicle and she said she'd take care of it. I'm probably so screwed, I'm just so frustrated. I've never checked my insurance information to make sure everything was still covered after I bought this car from my last car, but last year I obtained renters insurance with them too so I wonder if anything was changed at that point although NOTHING should have. My last car had full coverage so nothing should have changed. I don't understand!
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
You need to gather as much of your insurance information and statements as possible and ask the insurance company to send them to you. I would ask in writing. If you had coverage you are in good shape. If for some reason you didn't, even through their failure to add it, you might be in a tough circumstance without proof.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
I see you are new to Justanswer.com and I want to make sure you have no further questions. I have tried to help you to the best of my ability, but you may still have a follow-up issue. Let me know if I can I explain further. Is there anything else I can help you with? Did I answer your question? If not, please let me know how I can help further. If so, PLEASE let me know that, too!
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Can I help you further on this issue?