INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

I was given proceeds from an individual who sold their home.

Customer Question

I was given proceeds from an individual who sold their home. She deposited the funds into my account. I composed an "Agreement" that stated she was giving up all rights to funds without any coersion or influence. She of course, now is saying that I owe her this monies. The document was signed by both of us and notarized. I also composed a letter that stated that there are no more funds available from the deposit and we both signed and notarized.
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
If it was given to you as a gift, it is yours. If given to you to hold in trust for her, she is entitled to it back.   A court will need to determine what happened here if parties cant settle.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

We also signed an agreement that the person who provided the gift would not seek mediation or legal action against me. What rights do I have?

You would rely on the document evidencing the gift to defend the claim and have it dismissed. No better evidence than a writing.