Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

CAN MY DOCTOR REFUSE TO SEE ME IF I OWE HIM MONEY. HE HAS BEEN

Customer Question

CAN MY DOCTOR REFUSE TO SEE ME IF I OWE HIM MONEY. HE HAS BEEN TAKING CARE OF ME FOR 20 YEARS AND NOW I CAN'T EVEN GET TO TALK TO HIM. cAN THEY STOP ME FROM TALKING TO HIM?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
A doctor can refuse to see patients for non-payment of bills. Medical practices are private businesses and the doctors can see whatever patients they choose. Under the laws the doctors cannot refuse to turn over your medical records to a new doctor, but they can make you pay reasonable fees for the copying of those records. If the office staff will not allow you to speak to the doctor, there will not be much you can do.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”