Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Attorney
Experience:  California lawyer since 1976.
11056146

can I sue the government for discrimination on the constant

can I sue the government for discrimination on the constant hike in taxes on cigarettes?
HelloCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer.

You know the old saying, you can sue anybody any time for any thing. The real question is whether or not you can win if you do so.

Unfortunately, the answer to your real question is "no", you can't win if you sue the government over cigarette taxes. The use of cigarettes is not one of the classifications of people against whom discrimination is prohibited, so there would be no legal basis upon which you could win such a suit.

As frustrating as these taxes may be to you, they are extremely popular with the politicians, who see them as a source of easy money against which relatively few people will object. There is little or no possibility of any rollback of cigarette taxes in the foreseeable future.

Thanks for asking your question here on JustAnswer and I'm sorry I can't give you a more palatable response. If you have any other questions, please let me know.