AttorneyKaren, Attorney
Experience:  14+ YEARS ATTORNEY

I got a ticket riding my bike in an Los Angeles Metro Station.

I got a ticket riding my bike in an Los Angeles Metro Station. I did not go to court on the specified date (March 30, 2009). I'm not too sure what to do, but I got a notice during the month specifying a bail amount. Should I pay this through the mail with the hope of not getting arrested in the meantime? If I go to the court in person to pay would I be withheld and arrested?
Expert:  AttorneyKaren replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

I often serve as a Judge Pro Temp on this type of matters. There is more than likely a warrant for your arrest. You need to go to the court tomorrow and have the court pull your file and give you a court date.

When you go to the court, the court will lower the failure to appear (FTA) from a misdemeanor to an infraction. The court will also lower the civil assessment usually to $25.00. Then you have to plead to the FTA and the underlying offense--riding bike at LA metro station. If you plead guilty or no contest, they will usually lower the FTA to $25.00 plus the underlying offense.

The failure to appear may not have been issued yet since the court date was just 3/30/09--so I would suggest you go to the court tomorrow to have this matter reset hopefully before the FTA has been issued. If it has, then have it rescheduled. You will not be arrested since you are there to take care of this issue.

Best wishes here,