Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

My daughter purchased a new automobile. Her old car did not

My daughter purchased a new automobile. Her old car did not cover collision. On her way to the insurance company to register the car, she got in an accident. She drove the car for approximately 20 minutes prior to the accident. Is she covered?
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 7 years ago.
It all depends on the type of insurance policy she has. Majority of the time, the existing insurance policy on her old vehicle will cover her new vehicle until it is registered, coverage is generally liability, not collision. So although she may have coverage for the new vehicle, it may not have collision if her existing policy did not collision. Again, she needs to read the terms of her current insurance policy to see what coverage she had because each company sets their own rules. But her existing insurance should carry to the new car as most car dealers will not release a new car without proof of insurance.

Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.