Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

The opinion in Brown relied on a number of constitutional theories

Customer Question

The opinion in Brown relied on a number of constitutional theories and historical facts to arrive at the decision that segregated schools were unconstitutional. Briefly describe what these laws and facts were, and tell me what do you think is the most important part of the decision in Brown and why you think so
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
Black children were denied admission to public schools attended by white children under laws requiring or permitting segregation according to the races. The white and black schools approached equality in terms of buildings, curricula, qualifications, and teacher salaries.

The most important question in the case was whether segregation of children in public schools solely on the basis of race deprive the minority children of the equal protection of the laws guaranteed by the 14th Amendment?

The most important part of the decision was that separattion according to race is inherently not equal. Despite the equalization of the schools by "objective" factors such as teachers, facilities, and funding, intangible issues foster and maintain inequality. Racial segregation in public education has a detrimental effect on minority children because it is viewed and interpreted by society as a sign of inferiority. The long-held doctrine that separate facilities were permissible provided they were equal was rejected. Separate but equal is inherently unequal in the context of public education. This opinion, which was unanimous, was the final straw in breaking the back of all forms of state sanctioned and maintained racial separation.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR TEXAS ATTY” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.