skelly151, Lawyer
Experience:  Litigation specialist, Probate and Estate law, Collection law, contract disputes, builder issues

Hi, I am currently in the process of purchasing a new vehicle.

Customer Question

Hi, I am currently in the process of purchasing a new vehicle. I've found one that I really like, but upon doing a CarFax report I have seen that's it's been in two accidents. The report lists that they were both in Somerset County, New Jersey and references a case number XXXXX each accident: Case#CC#1136105-7097 and Case#07-1980CC-307. I've found the NJ statute that makes all accident reports within the state public record. So, my question is how can I, short of calling every police agency in Somerset Count, obtain a copy of these accident reports? Thanks a bunch!!
Expert:  skelly151 replied 7 years ago.

This is not the vehicle for you. If it has been in two accidents you really dont know the repairs or residual damage it has suffered. My suggestion is that the carfax gives you the ammunition to pass on the car and you should.

Expert:  skelly151 replied 7 years ago.
Oh and short of searching each jurisdiction within the county there is no telling who may have done the accident report since there is no centralized system.
Expert:  skelly151 replied 7 years ago.
Have I answered your question?
Expert:  skelly151 replied 7 years ago.