Experience:  23 Years as attorney, licensed NY and FL. Former US ATTY.

I have joint ownership of a car with my ex-girlfriend. She

I have joint ownership of a car with my ex-girlfriend. She is now in possesion of th car. I can not get it refinacned at this time so she still wants me to make payments. Her plan is to sell it. She said if I do not make payments she will take me to small claims court. She is listed as the cosignor and it say "or" on the title. What are my options? Can she take me to small claims court?

She can take you to small claims court for money only, she cannot ask the small claims court to make you sell the vehicle. You are both equally responsible for the payments, however if she is using the car she should be making the payments. The court will not make you pay if she gets to drive the car. The bank can make either one of you or both of you pay.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What money can she take me to small claims court for? We owe February and march payments. Again she is in possesion of the car but I dont think she is driving it. I cant get a refi on it now so she plans to sell it. But she also insists I make the payments for Feb and March in full.

She can sue you for half the payments. If you can make the payments now, please do so. She is ruining your credit as well as her own.

You can argue back to the court that since she has the car she should be making all the payments. It would become a swearing match in court.