Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

Im filling out an affidavit of identity and survivor ship

I'm filling out an affidavit of identity and survivor ship in Minnesota. Who can be the affiant? Does it have to be an attorney or someone other than me? If I put myself as the affiant, do I have to enter the name of the affiant in front of an attorny? Thanks
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 7 years ago.
The affiant would be you. An affiant is the person making the declaration. You would be signing as the affiant, not an attorney.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. Why I was confused is it says insert name and address of affiant being first duly sworn, on oath state from personal knowledge..so I can just put my name there, correct?
Okay, what that means is that before you sign you need to be sworn by the notary that you are making a declaration under oath, once the notary takes down your oath then you can sign. So don't sign it yet until you have a notary republic. You can prepare the body of the affidavit but you cannot sign until you have been sworn by the notary.

If you look at that form at the bottom it says "signed and sworn before me_____________, by_____________ etc.... that is the portion the notary has to fill out.

Hope this makes sense.