Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.
14472836

how long do a couple have to live together to be consider common

Customer Question

how long do a couple have to live together to be consider common law married
Expert:  Jack R. replied 8 years ago.
There is no time limit specified in any state. You must simply meet a 3 part test:
1) You both intend to be married
2) You cohabit
3) You hold yourselves out to the public as married (e.g. conduct yourselves as a married couple buy propert together, file joint taxes, etc.)

The longer you live together the greater the the probability you succesfully meet the criteria.

Some states indicate the time is a "significant time" there is no guidelines, but I suspect any period of a year or greater should be enough.

The idea is it muist be long enough for you to demosntrate the above 3 requirements

If this answer was helpful please press ACCEPT so I may be paid.
Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
does this apply if one of the party is legally marriage but is seperated from his wife (but not legally)
Expert:  Jack R. replied 8 years ago.
Absolutely not. A common law marriage mus above all things have both parties having capacity to get married. If one is still married there can be no common law or ceremonial marriage.