Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

Can a medical provider arbitrarily add finance charges to an

Customer Question

Can a medical provider arbitrarily add finance charges to an outstanding balance if I have been making regular monthly payments on the outstanding balance? I was told this is an illegal practice. True or false?
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.
Finance charges can only be added if they were agreed to as part of the original agreement or settlement. A creditor cannot arbitrarily add on fees to a bill.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You pretty much confirmed my position but would have appreciated a California Code Section or other applicable law that I can use when I contact this medical provider to dispute their finance charges. Otherwise, thank you for speedy response.
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.
You are welcome. There is no specific code section that I can give you. It is basic contract law that a contract cannot be unilaterally changed. The provider charged you a fee and you agreed to pay a fee. You did not agree to pay a finance charge. Thank you for using my services.