Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses

I manufacturer childrens clothing in California. My contractor

Customer Question

I manufacturer children's clothing in California. My contractor agreed to a specific price based on the production of 200 or more pieces. They began production and then for personal reasons decided to stop production. They want to charge me double the price I agreed on because they did not finish production of 200 pieces. They are threatening to not release my raw goods in excess of $50K from their warehouse if I do not pay double the agreed to price for the cutting they have done. Can they hold my goods and delay my production when they broke the initial contract without cause?
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
They are in breach. You should demand compliance with the terms agreed to in writing. If not done, consider having a lawyer send a letter before suing for performance.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The scheduled pickup time is on Monday. We are planning to go pick up the goods. If they hold them for more money do we need to file a police report? Should I bring a letter with me?
You could file apolice report but as this is a breach of contract claim, the police likely would direct you to sue.