Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

My father passed away last year, and we hired an attorney to

My father passed away last year, and we hired an attorney to help settle the estate. We paid him a fee up front, and he was suppose to file all the necessary papers. Add in the paper regarding our fathers death, etc. We also waited to file his tax return for 2008, and did all the things that we were suppose to do. Now this attorney will not answer our calls and will not release our father's money left in his estate to all of his children. Please help, or tell us what we should do to get our father's estate settled and the money distributed to us.
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 7 years ago.
Has the lawyer said why he is not releasing any of the monies left?

Is probate already closed?

Thanks

_______________________________________________

Please Note: My answer or reply is also limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
NO, we cannot get him to respond to our calls. And we have assumed the the probate has been closed. If he will not communicate with us, we just can't answer these questions and be absolutely sure what has transpired with our fathers case. WE must find out how we can get to communicate with him or file a civil action against him.
Thank you for your reply.

The attorney does owes his clients a duty of competence, meaning a duty to keep you reasonably informed regarding your case and any problems there might have resulted. So from the information provided his conduct is questionable. Under the Kansas code of professional responsibility, which controls the ethics of lawyers it provides that you can file a complaint with the state bar to review for disciplinary conduct. From my reading this is the first step before proceeding with a potential legal malpractice laws suit. You can review the codes here in particular section 209 entitled complaints.

Before doing this, would suggest you issue a written demand letter requesting an immediate meeting to address this. Given him a period of time to comply, say 15 days and let him know you will proceed with a state bar complaint for ethical violations. Since there is a risk of being disbarred, hopefully the lawyer will cooperate. Otherwise, proceed with the complaint process.

http://www.kscourts.org/rules-procedures-forms/attorney-discipline/default.asp

Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.