Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses

What is considered good cause to quit your job in MA and

What is considered "good cause" to quit your job in MA and collect unemployment benefits? I just got both a reduction in hours and salary (because of the economy) making my current earnings 40% less than last year. No other employee has yet to see any reduction and some are still being paid perks!
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
50% reduction is normally considered material to permit you to collect. At 40% you should call the local unemployment office and get confirmation in writing before resigning as handled on case by case basis.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I can't seem to get an answer - I'm told that I will have to file a claim and wait to see whether it is accepted or denied. I am looking for some clarification. Is there anything to the fact that I am being singled out? What exactly is considered "good cause" to quit?
Material reduction in pay is good cause but since your pay is cut by 40, and not 50 percent I suggested you check with unemployment office before resigning.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is this considered on a case by case basis or do they have strict guidelines that say a 50% paycut is considered good cause? Also, what else would fall under the "Good Cause" for leaving?
Case by case basis. Also abuse in the form of sexual harassment or material change in hours.