Experience:  Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts

autopsy not obsessed with death need answer

how do i write in a request for an autopsy in my living will. with several health problems i never thought i'd need to think about it but i do and present insurance doesn't cover it. do i need to rewrite my living will?
Expert:  LADYLAWYER replied 7 years ago.

Yes, your health care directives should be re-written to request an autopsy once you pass, otherwise, your family could refuse one. Please click ACCEPT so I can get credit for helping you. We can continue our conversation after this at no additional charge. Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i have an "advance directive" already with named agents to include my mother and a non-relative. can i ammend it or should i do the whole thing again -- just so you get the whole picture. i do want that stipulation.

You can add an addendum which says the original directive remains in full force and effect and you are incorporating the addendum to the original.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the reply. My original directive is endorsed Federally, from my time with the military. I'd like to talk to you about it -- are you able to give advice at that level? Does it matter?   Does it need to be "filed" anywhere?

We are able to talk here, but I can't talk with you on the phone. That would be actual representation and Justanswer will not allow it. Health Directives don't need to be "filed" anywhere, but you should give your doctor(s) a copy and you should also give any next of kin a copy. If not, they may not know what you want and may not think to look for something if you get sick and need medical care.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
maybe its optional, if it is urgent i can't imagine its required but cayuhoga county does have an office where such things are filed with the government -- that's only why i asked. it's confusing. my parents and the third party who was previously in the service were given official copies years ago and i had expressed my desires then so they are aware. with everything going electronic it has become more difficult as i don't have a clue where my health file is now.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sorry i need to update payment info will do.