LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

How do I get training to become a legal document preparer and

How do I get training to become a legal document preparer and notary for Washington and California?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 years ago.
Good afternoon,

In California there are short courses you can take through private notary schools that prepare you for your notary license exam. They are inexpensive and typically very good courses--I sent a couple of my employees to the courses when I practiced law in CA.

The State of Washington does not require you to take a test. Here is a link to the application for a Notary license in Washington:
http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/659007.pdf.

Best regards,

Doug

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for the informatioin answering my question about notary training. However, I still need the second part of my question answered which is how to obtain training to become a legal document preparer for both states?

Sincerely,
Alicia
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 years ago.
Good afternoon, Alicia,

In California, if you are going to prepare legal documents where you have to ask people questions to allow you to prepare the documents for them, that will be considered the practice of law. To do that you would have to be a licensed attorney in the state. However, there is an exception.

Effective January 1, 2000, all California independent paralegals (now called Legal Document Assistants), had to register with the Department of Consumer Affairs, post a bond, and meet minimum education and experience qualifications.

I believe that you will find similar requirements in Washington, too.

Best regards,

Doug

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So I need to become a paralegal?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 years ago.
Good afternoon,

Yes, I am afraid that you do, at least to be able to draft legal documents. You need no particular degree or certificate to become a notary though.

Best of luck to you.

Best regards,

Doug