Law Pro, Attorney
Experience:  20 years legal practitioner: real estate, collections, estate, civil, business, and criminal law
11688690

How long can a person be kept in prison for arson

How long can a person be kept in prison for arson?
Expert:  Law Pro replied 5 years ago.

What exactly was the conviction - was there attempted murder or anything esle involved?

What state is this in?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The conviction was arson from the burning down his own trailer to keep my sister from living in it. The state is West Virginia city Huntington. He remembers doing it now but at the time he did not realize what he was doing. He lost his mind and was in a frenzy and wanted to keep the trailer from my sister from living in it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He has been diagnosed with schioprenia, if that helps nay
Expert:  Law Pro replied 5 years ago.

Do you know exactly what he was convicted of - felony of what degree or misdemeanor of what degree?

What was his original sentence time - I should be able to tell you then.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
All I know os that he was charged with arson 10-25 years. But he was declared insane so they lowered the arson charge 5 years ago, and he has since been proven competant. My father is wanting to know just how long he can be held for an arson charge, he is 79 years old and does not want to end his life in a medical prison
Expert:  Law Pro replied 5 years ago.

His is not the usual case. What did they lower the charge or time to 5 years ago?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am going to take a chance and say he was charged with 3rd degree arson. They lowered the charge because they realized he was doing this arson out of mental stress and he was trying to keep something he owned from his daughter that was tring to take it away from him
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They lowered ti to 2-20 years, of which he has already done 5 years
Expert:  Law Pro replied 5 years ago.
Then he should definitely be able to get out. You should petition the court (the actual judge who sentenced him if possible) about his condition and that he may not have long to live and that he has served his sentence. That you would like him released into your care and custody for the small time he has remaining. The court should entertain such and should give an order for his release or at the very least have their staff check into the matter for the judge's review.
Law Pro, Attorney
Experience: 20 years legal practitioner: real estate, collections, estate, civil, business, and criminal law