How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask KimberlyLaw Your Own Question

KimberlyLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3848
Experience:  10 years of legal experience in various fields of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
KimberlyLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is on the lease, I pay all the rent payments, he

Resolved Question:

My husband is on the lease, I pay all the rent payments, he hasn't worked in 9 months. He sits at home all day on and is very blatent in his profile that he is looking to start a relationship and also states that he divorced. Our relationship is over and has been for over a year, we have no sex, there is not intimacy. He refuses to leave because "he is on the lease". Is there anything I can do to get him out and do I have grounds for divorce.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 6 years ago.

Hello, I am happy to answer your question. I wil address it in two parts, the first is regarding your lease, the second is regarding a possible divorce.


Ok, if this lease is in his name alone, then you have absolutely no rights at all in this house and should not be paying a dime towards it. I understand that you would like to keep the house and get him to leave, but in this situation your friends are correct, just get out as soon as possible, because you are throwing away your money. Once you leave he will be forced to pay his rent and bills, and you are in a great position because since your name isn't on anything, you won't be responsible if he doesn't pay. Perfect, just leave.


Now, about a potential divorce. It certainly sounds like that is where you are headed, so now it is just a matter of getting the formalities under way. Regarding grounds for divorce in Virginia, you can file for adultery, cruelty, abandonment or 1 year of separation. Of all of these possibilities, I advise you to go withthe last one. It is not necessary to file for a legal separation, all you have to do is live apart for one year and then you have grounds to file for the divorce even if he doesn't cooperate. If you want to prove adultery, it is going to be a long and difficult road, and frankly not worth the emotional stress that it will put you under. Simply move out, find a place of your own, start your new life and try to move forward. Then when one year has passed, file your papers and it will be quick and easy.


Good luck to you,


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I stated this incorrectly, we are both on the lease, so if I leave and he doesn't pay the rent I will be repsonsible for it.
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 6 years ago.

Ok, well that changes the situation considerably.


Take a look at the term of the lease and find out when it expires.

Next, go to the landlord independently and tell him your situation. Ask him if he will allow you to get off of the lease. There is no guarantee he will say yes, but if you tell him you are moving out he might agree. That would be great for you.


One good thing in your favor is that If you leave now, he will still have to pay the ENTIRE amount of the rent. The way it works with two people on a residential lease is that BOTH people are 100% liable for the total amount of the rent, so this means that the landlord can sue either person for the full amount.


Now, this means that if you leave, and he wants to stay, he will have to pay the rent or he will be kicked out. The only risk that you have in this situation is that if he doesn't pay his rent and ends up having a law suit filed against him by the landlord, you will be named as well, and will have to go to court and tell the judge your situation. This could end up on your credit history, but I think that your odds are pretty good for avoiding that in your case, as long as you make sure that you show up for court.


When you speak with the landlord, give him your new address, that way he will inform you if there is any legal action. Go to the court hearing and bring copies of all your payments made towards the rent for all the months that you paid. That should be more than enough for the judge to be wiling to hold HIM responsible for making the rent payments for the remainder of the lease,especially if you can prove that you don't live there anymore.


Again, to avoid all that and to avoid any trouble with your credit, you should talk to the landlord first. Make it clear that YOU have made all those payments and that you won't be living there anymore.


I hope this helps!


KimberlyLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3848
Experience: 10 years of legal experience in various fields of law.
KimberlyLaw and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.