Joseph Leon
Joseph Leon, Attorney
Experience:  General practitioner; all areas of law; practicing 15 years; licensed in 4 states.
15053919

If a car has two names on the title can one person sell it

Customer Question

If a car has two names on the title can one person sell it without the other's consent? After my 23 year old son broke up with his 36 year old girlfriend she took $15,000 from joint acct.(his fault , but he made 90% of the money)He bought a new car , had no credit and she co-signed. He put $8,000 down and made all the payments. While he was out of town on work she took the car & hid it and is now trying to sell it . The bank says if she finds a buyer to pay off loan they will sign off on the loan. Is this legal? He really wants his car , a 2005 Mustang showing up on Auto trader .His lawer wants a $7,500 retainer which he doesn't have (thanks to her) & neither do I. She has a lawyer that is running all over him.
Expert:  Joseph Leon replied 7 years ago.
Is the car fully paid for? Who is paying the monthly payments?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The bank holds the note ...After putting the $8,000 down my son made payments for a few months after she took it even tho' he didn't know where the car was. He was advised to stop paying when she dropped him on the ins. policy that he had been paying. She has paid for the last 2 months and new ins. with another guys name on the policy along with hers. By the way , she broke into my son's friends garage to take it. Along with the $15,000 he has approx. 5 months payments for car & ins. with all documentation of payroll deposits to acct.
Have you tried locating an attorney through the "lawyer referral service" run by your local bar association?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just aquired one thru Parker Stanbury. Thank you!
Great. Do you want the link or can you get it yourself?
Did you have any further questions?