Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

What happens if I refuse to pick up certified mail and not sign?

What happens if I don't pick up certified mail from post office? I received certified mail receipts but it doesn't show from who it is and because I don't know who the sender is, I don't want to go pick it up at the counter. Can I get in trouble?

You will not get into any trouble. You can refuse certified mail. If you cannot get served by mail for a court hearing, the party would have to attempt other methods of trying to serve you, such as serving you in person or by publishing notice in the newspaper. But it can also be argued that by refusing the letter you acknowledged service. This would be hard for the court to permit a hearing to go forward, but can be possible.
This is how the postal service answers your question:
"USPS attempts delivery of a Certified Mail letter three times over a 21 day period. The letter carrier will leave a delivery notice at the delivery address instructing them to pick up the item at their local post office. The USPS letter carrier documents the attempted delivery process with an electronic date and time scan that is kept by USPS and made available to the letter sender.
If the delivery is unsuccessful after three attempts, the actual letter is returned to sender with the attempted delivery date and time information.
Any adult can sign for a Certified Mail letter - this does nothing other than prove the letter was delivered at this address.
A person can also refuse to accept the letter because it is addressed to a specific individual. Certified Mail "refused" may constitute a rebuttable or presumption of service since it indicates that they were presented with the envelope, but refused to accept it under circumstances indicating they had reason to know it involved legal proceedings against them."
Thank you