Ask Attorney & Counselor at Law Your ...
Attorney & Counselor at Law
Attorney & Counselor at Law, Attorney
Experience:  Corporate, Entertainment & Trial attorney with large law firm & Fortune 500 client experience.
15568977

What is the maximum fee and executor can charge Nebraska

What is the maximum fee and executor can charge Nebraska? I have a relative who is asking for 25% of the estate for him (a nephew of the deceased) and 25% for his mother (sister of the deceased)
Expert:  Attorney & Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago.
Hi

There is not an absolute maximum fee that is allowed for the executor of the estate.

The amount must be approved by the probate court and it must be "reasonable".

The executor is not allowed to unduly profit from the execution of the estate, instead the executor is entitled to compensation for the work actually performed.

This would all depend on the complexity of the case, the value of the estate, the hours spent on administering the estate.   

The executor will have to justify the amount of the charge. If you have any objection to the amount, you should make your concerns know to the judge.

I hope my answer helps!