JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.

Can I deposit a check that is in my stepfathers name into an

Can I deposit a check that is in my stepfathers name into an account listed to myself and my mother, if I hold a durable power of attorney?
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

The answer is "it depends." You need to look at the power of attorney that was given to you and see if you were given the power to endorse and deposit checks.

Some powers of attorney are written to give people a lot of authority. Other powers of attorney are written very narrow with very limited authority given.

You really need to read the document. If you are in doubt, take the power of attorney document with you to the bank where you'd like to make the deposit and see if they find it to be acceptable.

Best wishes! I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Under the Banking and Financial Institutions Section of the POA it indicates the following

To deposit any finds received for me in my accounts in such Bank or Trust Companyor other depository as my attorney may select either in my name or my Attorney's name as Attorney in Fact.

After speaking with the bank they will not accept this. Does this mean I have to establish a new account with my name as POA and my stepfathers name ?