Steinlaw
Steinlaw, Attorney
Experience:  8+ years as an insurance adjuster, 7+ years as a personal injury and consumer law attorney
12106879

im disable and have been told over and over that i should

i'm disable and have been told over and over that i 'should' qualify for this assistance program and that assistance program, but have yet to get any assistance at all. a friend told me i was NOT required to report my SSD as income when applying for assistance [for instance, fuel assistance...] - and a state worker told me the same thing, as it does apply in her field which is reduced property taxes. how do i find out if this is true/legal? i'm not trying to scam anyone, i just can't AFFORD so many things - like heating my home! yet when i made an appointment with the fuel assistance office, they spoke of SS, and furnishing proof of that income. i've had 2 brain surgeries, have NO help or support system of any kind, and i'm SO CONFUSED!! and i tell ya, i am SICK AND TIRED of being told i have/make 'too much money' or that i'm 'living beyond my means'! i run out of funds EVERY SINGLE month, and the stress is pushing me to the edge. i couldn't afford fuel oil BEFORE - i sure can't NOW!
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question and I look forward to assisting you. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you have put all of the information in your question. Also, due to site reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. Also, there may be future facts that are as yet undetermined in your matter, that can and must leave some areas of information provided by me broad in nature. However, don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed! At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. That being said........

Yes, you need to report the social security as income. It is income. You report that it is social security and most places will not count it, but it must be reported to them. Failure to report it may result in benefits being terminated and you being billed for any services you received at a discount.

Good luck.

Legal Disclaimer. By requesting this information, you expressly agree to the following: The information given is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. The nominal price you may or may not pay for information does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship. The only method of gaining an attorney/client relationship with me is via a retainer and signed fee agreement, which is not offered via this site. I am providing only resources, opinion and information for you to be informed and educated about your particular rights and needs. My answer is limited to the facts presented with the understanding that you will do your proper due diligence and appropriate follow up with an attorney licensed in your state. I do not provide general or specific legal advice on this site. I also am licensed to practice only in California, which may not be the state where this information is being provided or state whose law would apply, if any. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and its associated sites.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

so sorry for the delay - i've been laid up for more than the past week, as i'm out of one of my [18] meds - THE pretty much most important one, of course - only cuz i've lost my psychiatrist and have been unable to even FIND another one! even aetna doesn't seem to be able to find one for me. were i one to be able to be disillusioned, i most certainly would be as not a ONE of these 'do no harm' guys gives a s--t [pardon my you-know-what] that when they spoke to me i had less than one day's worth of meds - and this is one you're supposed to titrate down from. i even got a refusal from one doc's office BECAUSE i was disabled - silly me, i actually thought that sort of thing was illegal...

sorry - am feeling very ragged, probly quite sorry for myself, and sick of being treated as tho i'm as worthless as i usually feel anymore.... at any rate, i didn't even read your offer of the discounted rate til just now, a minute after i read your answer.

i've never used this service b4, so this reply may be totally 'not done' or whatever. i guess i was just wondering if you had ANY idea how on earth one EVER is able to get assistance such as i'm seeking, ya know? it probably sounds like dramatization, but i quite literally run out of funds now each month NO later than the 15th - it used to be the 20th or 25th, which at least wasn't AS god-awful, ya know? and i'm not buying steaks to eat, or hitting 'the sales' on even an IRregular basis. hell, i can't remember the last time i was actually able to do that! my mortgage - which, due to my now bad credit, i'm unable to refi to try to bring it down - takes more than third of my "too high" (?) income, and i'm sure you're as familiar as everyone else (even if you CAN afford it...) the huge costs of heating oil, power, and even groceries. i literally hardly eat - but it still costs a ridiculous amount for a bag of groceries, which is usually just milk, bagels, cream cheese and if i'm as down as i normally am, particularly in winter, maybe a bag of reisens or a box of little bites brownies... i'm 'lucky' enough to have retained my medical/rx coverage from the job i had to retire from in '95 - but with 18 meds, it still costs a lot! two weeks ago, i spent a week with 3 layers of clothes on, under 4 blankets w/gloves on INSIDE MY HOME(!) - with no heat, cuz the oil company refused to wait the 3 days til i got my monthly disability money for payment of their last bill! and they are fully aware of just how deadly cold can be to me, due to endocrine problems and my body's inability to regulate my temperature. they quite literally didn't care if i croaked due to them refusing my 100-gallon request for oill [i've not *filled* my 275-g tank in more than 10 years....- these days, i reckon that'd be over $1k, i think!]

do you know of ANY state/federall/whatever organization that can/will help me? or even of any organization that would be willing to 'walk me thru' TRYING to get aid? i hate so much that i'm so stupid anymore - i consider it one of god's truly cruel ironies that with all i've been made to forget, he couldn't let me forget how intelligent i USED to be.

this thing probly doesn't even make any sense. if so, my apologies. depression is truly a horrible thing...even more so when it's just you, by yourself...

whine over...?

Expert:  Steinlaw replied 5 years ago.
I would look at the Law School Consortium Project to see if you can get some help on a pro bono basis.
Steinlaw, Attorney
Experience: 8+ years as an insurance adjuster, 7+ years as a personal injury and consumer law attorney