Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.

I left highly valuable property in the care of the owner of

I left highly valuable property in the care of the owner of a Commercial Storage area, for an agreed rate and length of time, the owner had no written agreement when the property was placed into storage, as to liability for theft vandelism or for damage caused by the catastrophic failure of the structure. I was assured of strength of the storage building and that it had been there for a long time, and of the safety of my decision to store my property in their care. The worst has happened and my property has been damaged. I live in the state of Missouri, and I would like to know if I have a right to damages caused to my property ?
Expert:  Jack R. replied 7 years ago.
If the owner of the facility exercised extraordianry care in trying to safeguard your valuables from forseeable harm then there is no legal claim. Extraordinary care could mean heigtened security, weather hardened building, basically something in excess of just a place to put things.

Unless the owner offered or represented to you he was liable for the safety of your property he is only require to act with extreme due dilligence in assuring your property is safe, and free from harm. A bailee (storer of property) is not an insurer of your property unless he agrees to be so. If an extraordinary event occurred which was not forseeable then he cannot be held liable for the damage.

If this answer was helpful please press ACCEPT so I may be paid.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.