Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  29 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

I purchased a used car from a reputable dealership on Tuesday.

Customer Question

I purchased a used car from a reputable dealership on Tuesday. I paid $6000 cash for a 2002 Ford Escape. I got a limited power train warranty with it. I bought it Tues. evening and Saturday morning it would not start. I had it towed to the dealer. They think it is the fuel pump and told me I had to pay for the repair. I asked for a loaner and they told me to go up the street to Enterprise and rent a car at my own expense. They have my car now and are soppose to fix it next week. I feel I might as well bought the car from a private owner seeing how they are treating me. I was hoping they would do the right thing. Are they obligated? I gave my entire tax return to them. I have no money to fix a car. I am a single parent with three children, one only two years old. I work full time and go to school full time. I am in a bad way without a car now.
Expert:  Ray replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Most used cars are sold as is here. Yours apparently has some power train warranty. But this is not covered here. I am sorry but legally you don't have a case. Maybe they woudl give you some kind of break here but they aren't obligated. Sorry but this is as is here as are most used cars. Again I'm sorry to have to give people bad news but I ahev to be honest here. I do wish you good luck...

Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.