How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack R. Your Own Question
Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My common law husband of 17 years left me for another. I am

Resolved Question:

My common law husband of 17 years left me for another. I am in process of retaining attorney for palimony case but this man is threatening to put me on the street. I have no place to go & no funds to go. The deed is in his name but he clarified married on it. He had nothing when we started, all was accumulated over years together. Due to bad accident my credit was destroyed. Can he get away with putting me out, what are my rights?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Jack R. replied 8 years ago.
what state are you in ?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I've tried to reason wtih him & tell him i need more time but he is heartless & wants me out. Can he throw me out in the street or have the police do it? do I have any rights or time to work it out?
Expert:  Jack R. replied 8 years ago.
emails and phone numerbs do not show up on this site. I need to know what state you are in to properly assist you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am in morris county New jersey
Expert:  Jack R. replied 8 years ago.
<p>As long as you are married he cannot put you out on the street. You have as much right to be in your home as he does. If he physically attempts to remove you, or prevent access to your home call the police. The police will make sure he does not stop you from access.</p><p> </p><p>Even if you were just his girlfirend the fact you are living in the home precludes him from throwing you out. </p><p> </p><p>In short you need not worry about having a place to live. Your attorney will be able to get you temporary support once the divorce is filed, and assure that you have a place to stay until the proceeding.</p><p> </p><p>What you are looking for is Alimony not Palimony.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>If this answer was helpful please press ACCEPT so I may be paid.</p><p> </p><p>Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>
Jack R. and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you