AttorneyKaren, Attorney
Experience:  14+ YEARS ATTORNEY

My Dad just died two weeks ago, I am also going through a divorce,

My Dad just died two weeks ago, I am also going through a divorce, the hearing is scheduled for 6 weeks from now, can I get an extension due to emotional distress due to my Dad's death?
Hello and thank you for your question.
I am sorry to hear about your father's passing--my father passed in July, 2008--and I do feel for your loss.
Regarding your continuance request, you first of all need to telephone the other side to see if they will be willing to voluntarily continue this matter--if not, then you need to go to the court before your court hearing on an emergency basis to request for a continuance. Under any "good cause" the court will continue a court hearing--the passing of a father is good cause to most courts.
I would take care of this right away, so you do not have to worry about this and you can concern yourself with your mourning and being with your family at this time.
Best wishes, and my prayers are with you--
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank You so much, do you have an idea of approx. how long I might be able to delay the court date?
Hello and thank you for your payment and follow-up question.
Usually continuances run from 30 to 45 days out. You can tell the court when you think you would be emotionally ready to proceed.
Again, the best here during these rough times--