How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Counselor at Law Your ...
Attorney & Counselor at Law
Attorney & Counselor at Law, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 868
Experience:  Corporate, Entertainment & Trial attorney with large law firm & Fortune 500 client experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Attorney & Counselor at Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I have been accused of child endangerment and

Resolved Question:

My husband and I have been accused of child endangerment and child abuse by his ex wife and both times they found it to not be true. Is there a way to sue her for slander/defamtion of character and ourtime off from our jobs to go court, mediation, and CPS Services this has happened about 1 1/2 years apart. Everytime she goes out on disabilit she wants custody of the children.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Attorney & Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago.
You probably cannot sue for defamation of character or slander because her communication is protected.

Whenever someone communicates with a court, law enforcement or administrative authority, they cannot be prosecuted for that communication (except by the authority itself).

This is a matter of public policy that encourages people to be open and honest with officials without fear of a slander or defamation claim.

You should encourage the child welfare authorities to prosecute for the filing of a false claim. Also, you could send a certified letter to CPS regarding the false charges, and sent a copy to the ex wife so she gets the message.

Good luck!
Attorney & Counselor at Law and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you