INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

I am a support staff supervisor in an Illinois law firm. My

Customer Question

I am a support staff supervisor in an Illinois law firm. My brother's wife is an ex-employee of the firm. Her sister, until recently was also employed as a filing clerk at the firm. My brother's wife caused a major rift in my family causing me to support my sister and not my brother. Two days after that, I was told by the filing clerk to, "shut up, and mind my own !@#$ing business, on behalf of her entire family. This started nine months of my being in a very difficult situation as a supervisor. This employee would not speak to me, dafamed my character to everyone she could speak to and the firm, due to an incompetent office manager, did nothing for fear that she would quit and file for unemployment. She quite in September and upon doing so, she submitted a letter of resignation full of lies about me. I am concerned that her words have affected the way my coworkers view me and my future at the firm. Do I have any recourse"
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.

If this person spread lies about you, a claim for libel can be pursued. Practically unless you are injured its an expensive and difficult litigation.

Practically, consider explaining the situation to management who should be able to appreciate the context of the remarks and disregard them.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What would constitute damages? What about an intentional infliction of emotional distress claim in addition to a libel case? I was put under an extreme amount of stress because of this situation and I did have to see a doctor because of it.
Damages require a showing of a financial loss. So if you lose your job, demoted, pay cut those would be evidence of damages. The intentional infliction claim requires outrageous conduct which is judged on a case by case basis. Again, an expensive claim to pursue which you need to first consider if this person even has assets to pay you should you win or settle.