Colin Beach
Colin Beach, Attorney
Experience:  3 years experience as a foreclosure and creditor rights attorney in the State of Ohio.

I received an anonomous email from someone that I work with

I received an anonomous email from someone that I work with at the university that is threatening me and blackmailing me.
Expert:  Colin Beach replied 7 years ago.
Blackmail is always a tricky situation. Do as much investigating as you can while protecting your "secret" and reputation. Blackmail is of course illegal, but you will have to make a personal decision whether you want to be outed. Save all correspondences your receive from the anonymous person and ask your University IT guy if the capability of tracking this person down is possible. Good luck.

Please press the GREEN "ACCEPT" button so proper credit is provided for your Answer. No attorney-client relationship is contemplated or was produced by this communication, which is acknowledged by all parties to be for educational purposes only.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Im not sure if its blackmail or not. Can I send you the email? I'm going to meet with the dean on monday to show him the email. Im not afraid of being outed. This I beleive is a result of me trying to fight the chair of my dept for removing me from teaching without an written explaination.
Blackmail is the request of money or favors in exchange for keeping damaging information private about that person. Meeting with the dean may be a good idea unless it will further exacerbate the problem of you getting removed.