Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Practing General Attorney,

Hello, I have two children an 8 year old girl 3/2/00 and a

Customer Question

Hello, I have two children an 8 year old girl 3/2/00 and a 5 month old boy 8/19/08. I cant find the father of my children. The last time I seen him was at the hospital when my son was born. I want to travel to ST. Vincent out of the US and I need consent from him. His name is XXXXX XXXXX of my childrens' birth certificates. What should I do. I am supposed to travel in May. Please help.
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 7 years ago.
Is the problem with obtaining a passport? Was there a custody order issued?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I haven't applied yet but I filled out forms and they say I need notarized written consent from him. I tried contacting him but have been unable. Can I send in forms without his consent.
No you can not. Regardless of custody the ability to transport a child is a separate issue. If the father does not consent then you could attempt to seek permission from a court. However, it's questionable is a court has legal authority to force one parent to allow the other parent to grant permission to has a passport issued because of the ramifications of such an act. Even if a court could force a parent to grant permission the other parent court seek restrictions on the travel. Having said the above, youre in a more difficult position because the other parent can not be located. I doubt you will have much luck in obtaining the passport because it should not legally be issued unless the other parent consents (which you cant locate him) or the other parent is deceased. Im sorry but the right to travel is priviledge not a right and any limitation can be placed so long as its applied equally to all regardless of age, race, religion and disability