C.Fortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Admitted NYS Bar, member ABA, NYSBA, NYCBA, QCBA, Licensed Real Estate Broker

i live in missouri. my wife and i have separated, she is not

i live in missouri. my wife and i have separated, she is not working and living in another house we are trying to sell. she says i must give her money every week from my check or she can have a lawyer serve me with papers taking half my check. i pay so much per week towards the mortgage and all utilities . can she do this or is she trying to scare me.
Expert:  C.Fortunato replied 7 years ago.

Although there was once a time when it was different, at the present time, it is not easy to maintain a case for spousal maintenance. Unless there is some overriding reason why she can't work, and that reason is at least parti

ally due to the marriage, there is a good possibility that you will not have to pay any maintenance.

Even if you did have to pay maintenance, the amount that you are paying to house her (some or all of the mortgage) would count toward what you would have to pay.

If I have fully answered your question, please click on the "ACCEPT" button, as per your agreement with "JUST ANSWER." If you need further information, please let me know.

Thank you!