GoLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with eight years of experience in business law and landlord-tenant law.

What are the laws for the state of tennessee for the distilling

What are the laws for the state of tennessee for the distilling of alcohol for personal use?
Expert:  GoLaw replied 7 years ago.

Unfortunately, the moonshine laws are alive and well in Tennessee. The manufacture of alcohol for any purpose without a license is a Class A misdemeanor, punishable by up to a year in jail and a fine of up to $2,500.00. I have inserted the applicable code section below for your reference:

39-17-706. Manufacture of alcoholic beverages. -

(a) It is unlawful for any person, company, or other entity to manufacture intoxicating beverages unless authorized by law to do so; provided, that this section shall not be construed to prohibit the manufacture of alcohol for use as a fuel to power motor-driven vehicles and machinery or for heating purposes or of not less than one hundred eighty-eight (188) proof for chemical, pharmaceutical, medical, and bacteriological purposes.

(b) A violation of this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

[Acts 1989, ch. 591, § 1.]

Please let me know if you have any questions or need clarification. Thanks.